Driving in France is easy when you get used to it! The motto is – be prepared for your carp fishing trip to France.
Driving in France can be pure joy when compared to the overcrowded roads in the UK – but be prepared before you set off on your fishing holiday. Put together a checklist well before you leave and make sure that you read up on the latest regulations – AA and RAC websites are full of useful information to help you drive in Europe and are updated regularly as well.
Here is a quick checklist of things to think about before setting off to France for your carp fishing holiday.
- Bring your driving licence
- Make sure you have proof of vehicle ownership or hire
- Check that your vehicle insurance covers you in France
- Have headlamp beam deflectors ready to stick on
- Have a set of spare bulbs with you
- You’ll need to have a hazard warning triangle
- Spare set of car keys for obvious reasons
- High-visibility waistcoats (one per car) not kept in the boot
- Check your vehicle condition before leaving
- Be sure to have maps or a Sat Nav (or both – Sat Navs can go wrong)
Car Breakdown Cover
Since Oakview Lake here in France opened in 2009, we have had more than a few of our customers breaking down on route. Some of them have had breakdown cover already in place, but the majority haven’t. We can’t even begin to tell you the difficulties they suffered as a result of this. We strongly suggest that you take out European breakdown cover before you start off on your journey.
Known as péages over here in France. Depending on the route you take driving through France you may have to pay to use the roads – the roads here are excellent and not crowded. You’ll find two types of toll booth:
- First there’s the pay per network. with this type you take a ticket when you enter and pay when leaving the network. Payment can be in euros or by credit card.
- The other type of toll booth is pay per section. Charges are calculated per section of a network you drive on – it’s a good idea to have small change at the ready, but they also take credit cards.